Thread: Ruger 9mm 1911
View Single Post

Old 01-05-2017, 06:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,427 Times in 1,028 Posts

I read with interest this thread the day it started, having heard of, but never handled the SR 1911-9mm. I still haven't shot one but last night a chance to look one over came my way.

A friend asked me to open it up completely, take a look and clean it.
I'm impressed.

Most all the specs can be read on the Ruger site, but I noticed a couple things they don't mention.

Trigger pull on this one I would guess to be less than 4.5 lbs. and glassy. I will put the gauge on it when I reassemble.

The bare frame, alloy of course, with grip bushings, plungers, and ejector still attached weighs 4.2 oz. (On a calibrated postal scale). It almost floats.
Inside surfaces of the frame have several areas machined differently, far differently, than G I mil-spec 1911s. Saving every ounce in non-critical areas.
While many companies have gone to plastic mainspring housings, this one is steel.
That msh weight, along with the S S slide, balances it nicely in your hand. Just begging to be shot.

The firing pin is I believe titanium, and adds a little safety to a, non 80 series, type ignition system.

A ramp style barrel, so there should never be any damage to the frame from bullets feeding, and also will almost assure no failure to feed from the mags.

Two features I am not a fan of, rubber grips and extended thumb safety. The grips however feel great, and are an easy change, as is the thumb safety, and I will when I get one of these, which I surely am !