View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,330 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Marine View Post
I'm not LEO but there are no mag round limit restriction's in Illinois since the CCW passed.
I only brought the gun I wouldn't miss if the Ill State Police shook me down.
IL has never had a mag limit except that which was imposed by the feds by the 1994 ban. But there never has been an IL state law restricting mag size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun22 View Post
The Illinois handgun mag restriction was done away with when the CCW law was passed. That being said Illinois has no preemption law on the books at the moment.
Actually it wasn't IL's handgun mag restriction as IL never has had an handgun (or any type firearm) mag restriction. The CCW law affected only local govt entities which had mag restrictions. Even then, local govt entities had until a given date to enact firearm restrictions. That date has passed.
You can go to this website for the local govt entities that have enacted firearm related ordinances. IL Concealed Carry License
Local govt entities are required by law to notify the ISP of any firearm related ordinances/changes passed by those local entities. That doesn't mean those local entities always do. Some of those listed may have been changed or preempted and the local entity never sent the update to the ISP.
The list of cities is not an indication of a long list of restrictive gun laws. If you read thru some of the local ordinances you'll find they just mirror state law. Local entities often do that as it makes a differences how they intend to file charges for any of those violations. If they charge under state law it is a criminal offense. If they charge the same violation under a municipal ordinance it is just a local infraction and not a criminal conviction.
A lot of the other municipal ordinances listed deal with things like zoning restrictions for gun shops, shooting ranges, etc, and would not directly affect the average firearm owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith61 View Post
After agreeing with you, I simply expanded on the LEOSA cases brought forward in several courts, in which LEOSA has pretty much trumped State and municipal statutes.
Pretty much? A bit more than 'pretty much'. LEOSA was written to do just that - trump state and municipal statutes. That's what LEOSA is about and what it says in the very first line of the LEOSA statute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith61 View Post
I do know this much, I can travel through all three of those states right now with a fifteen round mag. I will probably swap out hollow points for ball ammo in New Jersey though, LOL!!! Peace!
With all that training then you know that LEOSA does not address mag size limits imposed by state/local govts and therefore such restrictions apply. And you also surely know that LEOSA now includes HP ammo, even in NJ, so there's no need to swap out ammo if you're truly a bona fide LEO/retired.