View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,050 Times in 4,535 Posts
Default Federal carry law/national "chl" reciprocity/and drivers licenses

I could be wrong about this but since there are various threads about a national carry law I want to both ask a question and point out some information.

Question - what Federal law mandates state by state reciprocity in re drivers licenses?

Everyone thinks there is one. I disagree. There is no such mandate. Not that I am aware of. The Driver License Compact came into existence in 1960 and it allows the sharing of information in re offenses, etc., but it doesn't discuss reciprocity.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think I know the answer, to wit:

With respect to noncommercial licenses the several states recognize each others drivers licenses for driving privilege reciprocity due to various international agreements entered into by the Federal government. For instance, the 1949 World Convention on International Road Traffic and the 1943 Inter-American Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic. I have not read these treaties nor do I plan to but I am relatively certain that they are the basis of drivers license reciprocity, not some interstate compact.

If someone can evidence a national compact amongst the states I'd love to see it. I don't want to be right.

My point is that comparing a Federal/national right to carry a handgun permit to drivers licenses is apples and oranges. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Nothing in the Constitution describes driving as far as I am aware.

If the Feds get involved there really is a concern about a new bureau or agency supervising it, regulating it, etc. Be careful what you wish for.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: