View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM

Liked 4,916 Times in 1,705 Posts

...well...there was a change in plans. After posting this question over on the Single Action Forums one of the members suggested I contact Jack Huntington as he is reboring barrels... Called him two days ago and yes the project could be done with the original .22 Jet barrel and .22 rimfire cylinder.

The estimate to make the new barrel from the first smith plus complete refinishing was go to be $750. For Jack to do the whole thing...$450.

Because I had to replace the barrel several years ago, the burned out barrel will be used for the conversion. This means at some later date the gun could be returned to .22 Jet by just putting the second barrel and Jet cylinder back on the frame. The only thing that can't be replaced of course is the .22 rimfire cylinder...last Jet length .22 rimfire cylinder I saw sell on eBay was $800.

Although this basically wrecks a rare first year of production .22 Jet with a rimfire cylinder I am doing this for a reason... I have had this gun since about 1974. I had been looking for a Jet for some time with zero luck. One day my best friend and I were at Ivanho's Gun Shop in Watertown, Ma. I was not allowed to go in at first as my friend wanted to get me a birthday gift. All of a sudden he comes out waving his arms for me to come in...and there was the Jet I was looking for complete with the rimfire cylinder....I bought it on the spot for I think $160. It was my only .22 handgun for almost 20 years. It killed all manner of small game the longest shot being a starling at 90 yards sitting on a tree branch...

I hunted, shot and fished with the friend who found that gun for me for just short of 40 years...until he passed away... The gun just wasn't getting used as a Jet anymore and I have a bunch of .22 revolvers... But I am now shooting a lot of .327 Federal so this way I can still use my longest held handgun and remember all the great times I had with my friend whenever I do...

Bob

ps..gun shipped today...

Last edited by SuperMan; 01-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: