View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

For your reading pleasure, scan down in this section. We had a thread running a while back, maybe 5 or 6 months. It related to the cost of finding a good holster. My post was that I had a fortune invested in that box down in my gun room. I must admit I'm not good at guessing how much I'm going to like a holster before I buy it. I've even found that I get surprised every once in a while and find a good one. But its not anything I can predict in advance. If you have a well stocked gun shop near you, just go for a visit and look. If they sell for an average of, say, $100 then figure you'll spend $400 before you find one you really like. Go to gun shows and look for the boxes of used holsters. Don't be afraid to buy a few at $20 each. If you do that an test one that you like, either just adopt it like a foster kid, or order on line the exact same model.

If you have friends who will let you borrow a holster, it may save you a bunch of money. But treat the other guys holster with care. If you damage it, you'll lose a friend. Stores won't let you test drive a holster for a few weeks. Its like asking to borrow underwear. You can at least ask other guys you know what they like. But don't be surprised if your tastes differ from theirs.

My favorite J frame holster (I know, not the question) is the Galco Small of Back. Lee's program won't let me abbreviate it as ***. I'm guessing its been changed to xxx. I like that one so well that I bought one for a 1911 out of a box at a gun show. And guess what? Mine now fits a M39 Smith and a SIG P210. For me its a real win. And I've discovered I kind of like "Belt Slide" holsters. Because they're open at the bottom, they're indepedent of barrel lenght. A 3" M29 works, as does an 8 3/8s. Just not as gracefully.

If you're going to be using it outdoors an there is any chance in the world of it raining, don't buy a closed bottom one. At least the open bottom one is "self bailing" (a boating term, but applicable here.) I like retention straps or snaps. I don't like picking my gun up after it falls out.

Some of us own "dress holsters". I think they were produced for uniformed police use. But you can have a nice looking holster for any application. They just don't stay nice if you crawl around on rocks and dirt. My personal favorites for casual long barrel N frame carry is anything made by H H Heiser before WWII. They still look nice and work pretty well.

When the moderator of this section comes along, Turnerriver, He'll show his views, too. Pay attention, I do.

Every gun show, including the ones this weekend, I take along extra money, budgeted money. I really look for holsters that I think I might like. One I bought too long ago was a Safariland full flap. Its kind of an oddball, being made for a 586 with a 6" barrel. And its lined. I've discovered that any 6 or even 6 1/2 will fit. Its a pretty nice universal holster. Yes, used but like new for about $25. Bet it cost $100 new.

Holster Lessons Learned Expensively

Last edited by rburg; 01-06-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: To post a link
The Following User Likes This Post: