View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 11:29 PM

Liked 1,540 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
A few good worms don't make the whole can bad. In the video the 147 grain Gold Dot did expand about that big, so I'd expect that a 165 grain 'Gold Dot' could do the same thing if constructed for the job like the 'short barrel 135 gr. Gold Dots do. I see that they make and have data for a 180 gr. .38 bullet. And if what you say about heavier bullets approaching 9mm effectiveness MAY hold true for 9mm approaching the .45. So that is encouraging enough to work on this for a while.
Well,considering jacketted bullets,I must admit that I don't have experience enough to discuss the matter.I guess on that one I must concede.
Cast bullets,which are the only projectiles I use(and never happened to use them in sd I must add)have more penetration.I will not indulge with expansion experience about cast vs jacket bullets since I do not have any scientific or ''from the bottom of my pants''experience with jacketed bullets.I'm a firm believer of
A)penetration
B)by a large bullet
C)that will exit so as to dump as much blood from both ends of the wound.
The 9 is a good penetrator,being smaller than the .45(all else being equal)But it is the nose shape that counts;a large nose SWC in .38(like the Keith,Thompson or better,hard cast WC bullet) will do more damage.
Please read me right;the 9 is good but still only a 9mm or only as good as a .38 Spl +p or +p+ depending on the weight of the bullet.
But you could blame me of being a large caliber lover and to this,I could only bow down and thank you for.
Qc
The Following User Likes This Post: