View Single Post

Old 01-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
With all these people making gunsmiths rich doing .327 conversions one would think that S&W would get the hint...
You'd think. But . . .

My first 432PD (6 shot Airweight Centennial in 32 H&R) had problems out of the box and went back to the factory, where it was promptly declared unrepairable. They had no 32 caliber anythings to offer as replacements, but I told 'em I'd wait as long as it took for them to make some more, and laid out to several representatives the current state of prices for S&W guns in 32 H&R and 327 on the used market. They said nothing doing, I had to take something from current inventory. (Ended up with a 686+, which is sitting my my LGS consignment case, unfired.)

I can only conclude that S&W sells more 642s than they can make now, and that they see no net benefit from changing the machinery or expanding production lines to offer anything different. I was lucky enough to find another 432PD on Gunbroker. But when my wife decided she liked shooting it, and finally got her concealed carry permit, I ended up getting a Ruger LCR in 327 as a replacement, hammerless carry piece for myself. After looking for another 432PD but realizing that finding one would just be a **** shoot. The Ruger arrived within a week after my LGS ordered it, and while it's not a S&W it still makes a pretty nice carry piece. I would have willingly paid $250 more for a S&W Centennial in 327, which they made for a while but which now fetch well into 4 figures on the rare occasion when they come on the market.