View Single Post

Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by model3sw View Post
Not knowing the history of the gun, and / or specifically how you went about these remedy attempts ... and you say the High Velocity worked with no issues .... seems you have a recoil spring problem.

Have you actually field stripped it, all the way ?
Thanks for your input Model3sw. You're right, while I've had it a long time, I don't know it's previous history. The extractor replacement was pretty straightforward and I can't see having made any mistakes there. I've only done a basic field strip including the block, firing pin, extractor R&R. I have not completely disassembled the pistol.
Quote:
You have the correct / matching slide / barrel components ... hinting that it may have been taken apart and re-assembled or had a barrel switch prior to you owning it ?
Good question that I don't know the answer to. I sent it back to S&W about 20 years ago, but never heard anything out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Check inner for spring interference marks the surrounding components or a mishapen / worn recoil spring.
By inner spring do you mean the recoil spring? It's new and I don't see anything noticeable.
Quote:
You are then aware that the 41 / 46 were engineered to work with standard velocity rounds.

Also, check your ammo. Sometime the lead projectiles over the year accumulate a lead oxide that make the rounds difficult to use in even a revolver depending on the degree of degradation of the lead. (FYI in the 41 clone air guns old lead pellets cause a slew of similar problems )
Yes and I've only used SV ammo with the exception noted above. I think I've used enough different ammo recently to rule it out.