Thread: K32 build....
View Single Post

Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Liked 170 Times in 89 Posts

Got to do a little more last night.....

Its funny how the external dimensions on these revolver are fairly destroyed by the polishing/finishing. It took me quite a while messing around weeknights to figure out where to indicate from before I could start machining.

What worked best was sticking a VERY snug gauge block into the rear sight notch. As this is one of the few square and unfinished machined spots left.

Indicated in to well under .0005 and verified by measuring barrel runout, I could finally start machining for the rear sight.

I took this one just to show the cutter, it always amazes me how well a cutter this small , made from solid carbide, removes metal!!

After this pic I test fit the sight and wound up cutting the rest of the U-cut, where the old sight notch resided, forward till its just about gone. Then moved the rest of the dimensions forward to match.

You can see the U-notch clearly here, but its only a few .001"s deep at this point, really its just enough left that the bluing remained.

Also, you can see where the firing pin has been eroding the frame!!! While I'm going to move that whole radius forward a little and wind up having more meat there, should this have the spring in the hammer nose??

The Following 7 Users Like Post: