View Single Post

Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Liked 17,191 Times in 5,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty1 View Post
Re: polishing the chamber. Is that something that should be done by a novice, any tips or instructions there?
First step is to pick up some JB Bore Bright, available at Brownell's and Midway. Take a fired shell, drill a hole through the end and stick a round head bolt through, so the threaded portion sticks out the bottom of the shell. Run a nut up and tighten. Chuck up the threaded portion in a drill motor that either had variable speeds or a very slow setting, and coat the case with the polish, as well as the inside of the chamber using a Q-tip. Then insert the case and run at slow speed. Do not run for long, maybe 10 seconds tops, then clean and inspect the chamber. If you have a bore scope (Lyman makes a relatively inexpensive one), so much the better. Lacking a bore scope, use a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe and good light to inspect the chamber. Clean the case, and using fresh polish, repeat until the chamber looks shiny and well polished. If you see any irregularities in the chamber, like a ring, or worse yet, a burr on the outside edge, polishing may not help and a chamber reamer my be needed, but since the gun ejects with HV rounds, I doubt that is the issue. I really think it may just be dirt. These barrels were made with very tight tolerances and a little dirt could make a major problem. IIRC, someone posted they had to clean their barrel/chamber after as little as 400 rounds.

Some notes on drilling the casing. The idea is to get the hole as close to the center as possible, otherwise you will have to do the polishing by hand because the run out will make using a drill difficult. the best way to do this is start with a drill bit the same size (or as close as possible) to the inside dimension of the fired round. Use this drill bit to score the center of the case by running it slowly, and avoid drilling through. This will leave a slight indentation to help center the smaller drill for the bolt to pass through.

Another easier alternative is to use a .22 bore cleaning brush and wrap a cleaning patch around it. Then coat the patch with and chamber with polish and again, using a slow speed, run the brush inside the chamber. This method, IMHO, works OK for cleaning but isn't consistent enough for polishing, as the brush is too irregular, but it still might work. In fact on reflection, I would try this first, as if the problem is just dirt, this should address the issue.