View Single Post

Old 01-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

I like the concept of national reciprocity, I feel that a carry permit should be recognized just like a driver's license or a marriage license. However, I do have a major problem with this bill as written. Too much of it hinges on the statement of "issued by your state".

I live in NJ, a MAY issue state. In NJ, your chance of getting a carry permit is right up there with the likelihood of running a successful snow cone business in Hades, unless you are a retired LEO, a select Judge, or properly connected to a prominent politician. I have a problem with the fact that a state would be obligated to recognize the permit issued by your state. While it may be unintentional, I see the current wording as an end run to curtail the issuance of non-resident permits from states such as Arizona, Texas, or Utah. In my reading of this proposed legislation, there is no obligation to honor a non-resident CCW permit. From the way that I read this proposal, persons who must depend upon the security of a non-resident permit are either left in the cold, or stripped of the right to carry.

As much as I long to move to a free state, but that is not in the cards for a while.