View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 AM

Liked 147 Times in 94 Posts

The form I was sent was sent in 2016 but my renewal is in early 2017 so things may have changed.

Couple points - self certify. I understand that I could sign a form and say I've done something that I haven't and in all likelihood, no one would know the difference, however, I would. I think if I'm going to certify that I've reviewed something, I should do that. Again, I know this is so very remote, but if you used your weapon, wouldn't it be nice to be able to substantiate that you did review something? As a practical matter, I'm not taking the high moral ground, but I think it's important to at least do some review in case some laws have changed and to just make sure you keep sharp on the rules. I don't think anyone on this forum would suggest that I shouldn't practice firing.

The comments about the review being eliminated are interesting. Apparently the renewal form has not caught up with the change. I'll look to see if there is a new form or some verification that a review is no longer required. It makes sense, because I found some local ranges that have review classes on their web site, but none were scheduled. Maybe they dropped them given the change.

Follow-up:

The following is from the Michigan State Police web site:

"The applicant shall sign the statement on the application certifying that he or she has completed at least three hours of review of the required training and has had at least one hour of firing range time in the six months immediately preceding the renewal application."

Still looking for a concise format of review material.

Last edited by Jerry N.; 01-08-2017 at 01:34 AM.