View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 AM

Liked 482 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Michigan Scott wrote:
They are shipped with preservative covering every metal part. When cleaned thoroughly and then wiped down with CLP or another gun oil they will look black. The upper and lower may not be exactly the same color like hdwhit found out because they are anodized in different batches.

I don't believe it is a quality control issue.
I have two M&P-15 Sport IIs. One of them was as described in Loxboy 1's post; essentially "green" in color. A thourough cleaning and oiling brought the color back to being closer to what I expected based on the uniformly black color of my other M&P-15, but it was not the same.

Some difference in the color produced by the anodizing is to be expected and I accept that mine are within the range of those results that S&W found satrisfactory, but for those customers expecting a "black" rifle, the range of variation in the anodizing that is evidenced by my two Sport IIs suggest that S&W's quality control "tolerance" is far broader than many customers would find acceptable - and in that respect, it IS a quality control issue.