View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Liked 3,637 Times in 1,627 Posts

Deadmeat2 was a medical examiner who posted the thread "Tales from the Morgue" on this very forum 11 years ago. It is not available here anymore. However, it was such a landmark thread that it exists on the interweb in many places. Though it is impossible to know to what exent the copies of the thread have been edited.

Here is an example:

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

My favorite quote from deadmeat2: "A hollow point won't hurt a .45."

He noted that larger calibers, .40 and up, tended to plow through bone and other tissue, while 9s tended to be deflected and zip all around.

Another great quote:

'The standing joke in the morgue is to guess the caliber by looking at the x-rays.'

With context:

'You're correct in what you're thinking. Yes, the 9mm and .380 are the rounds I most often see on the autopsy table, but they're also the rounds that usually require multiple hits to make the kill. The standing joke in the morgue is to guess the caliber by looking at the x-rays. If multiple rounds show up on the x-rays more often than not it's a 9mm or .380 (or .32 or .25 or some mouse gun caliber). If only one round shows up, it could be an inordinately good hit with a .380 or 9mm, but more likely it's a .40 or .45.'