View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,968 Times in 5,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdgun View Post
Some may think it's a little silly to name a gun. I suspect I may have got the notion to name a gun from watching Disney's "Davy Crockett" series with Fess Parker back in the 50's. At that time, most of us boys had a coonskin cap and a toy rifle named 'Betsy.' So even today I give some of my guns a name. With that, let me introduce you to my S&W ladies: Nikki, Kitty, Polly, Maggie, and Bertha.

Below are pictures of the ladies in my Smith & Wesson harem.

Nikki
4th Model "Pocket Pistol"
.32 S&W
Mfr date: 188?
I bought Nikki from a pard at a Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) match to be used in the pocket pistol side matches. Before I bought her, this ~130-year-old lady had been recently nickeled with hammer and trigger blued. She also appears to have got some new grip panels. Nikki may have a few years on her, but she's looking good now!

Kitty
Model 34-1 "Kit Gun"
.22 Long Rifle
Mfr date: 1978
I bought Kitty brand new in 1978 for my wife to shoot. Kitty has a little honest wear on her from being carried during camping and hunting trips. Kitty here is shown with her original grip panels, but I replaced those originals with Altamont grips as I felt her original grips a bit too small. Either way, she's a joy to carry and shoot.

Polly
Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece"
.38 Special
Mfr date: 1980
I just got Polly a few days ago to replace a 15-3 I had let go back in 1973. Back in the days before the big migration to semi-autos, the "Combat Masterpiece" was the revolver carried by many police officers and the US Air Force issued many Model 15s to pilots and airmen. Possibly the Model 15 is the finest .35 Special revolver ever made.

Maggie
Model 19-3 "Combat Magnum"
.357 Magnum
Mfr date: 1972
I bought Maggie in October, 2016. Always admired the "Combat Magnum" and finely broke down and bought one. I don't think I've ever shot any handgun better than Maggie. She is deadly! What an absolutely excellent revolver is the Model 19; possibly the pinnacle of all S&W revolvers.

Bertha
Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun"
.45 Colt
Mfr date: 2005
Bertha is my biggest handgun on that S&W N frame. My wife gave me Bertha as a gift in late 2005. I had mentioned that since I reloaded .45 Colt rounds for Cowboy Action Shooting, I would like to have a S&W double-action revolver in .45 Colt and use it as my night stand gun. She asked me, "Wouldn't the Rossi (2-inch barrel .38 Special) you keep in the night stand stop the bad guys?" I told her, "Yes Doll, it probably would stop them, but a .45 would have them going the other direction!" I get a lot of fun shooting my Cowboy loads though Bertha, but at home she is loaded with stouter factory rounds while sitting in my night stand. I'm going to dress her up some with new Altamont grips that I now have on order.

Well friends, there's my little harem of S&W double-action revolvers. Not the biggest S&W revolver collection, but I sure get pleasure from these ladies, and I've given them all a name.

God bless,
Birdgun

I'd name them too if they were as pretty as those guns are.
S&WCA #3065
The Following 3 Users Like Post: