View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
You don't say where you live. How often do people in your neck of the woods have to take a shot at a bear? If you're just risk managing the worst case scenario (there are bear in the bootheel, but the last one around here got hit with a car, and some people have said it may have been killed a couple counties away and drug onto the highway at night. It's not something we worry about), I'd stick with the 642 and buy some Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense. If people take a shot at a bear more often than, say, once or twice a year, I'd step it up . . .
I'm in northern New York, Adirondacks...definitely black bear here but rarely seen unless your near a dump. I don't know of a single attack in the area, a couple encounters with mama's and cubs from time to time but usually just posturing. I've hunted for years and only seen one beat and it split as soon as we locked eyes...there not aggressive here at all and all the encounters I've heard a little yelling and fighting back does the trick so that's why I considered the 38. I have a large 357 that would be plenty but it's very heavy and I want something small for hiking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Like Post: