View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Liked 10,579 Times in 2,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
I use Gold Dot short barrel 124gr in my Shield. Your best option is to try some of the popular defense rounds and see how you do in shooting to POA, expansion, reliability. Nobody guarantees your gun will like the same ammo I use.
Absolutely true. Many Shield 9 owners love HST 124g +P SD rounds. My Shield 9 hates them. I had three failures to feed and one failure to eject in the first 31 rounds I tried. My Shield was well broken in at that point, with over 3000 rounds.

On the other hand, in addition to the Golden Saber 147g rounds (227 fired with one FTE) that I mentioned in my previous post, I've had good experiences with Speer Gold Dot 124g +P (147 rounds fired with no failures), and Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P (174 rounds fired with no failures).

Bottom line is that you've got to experiment some with different SD ammo to find what works best in your Shield. I will not carry any SD ammo until it has fired a minimum of 100 consecutive rounds without any failures. Is all that testing expensive? Yes, but my life is worth it.