View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Liked 1,574 Times in 578 Posts

Over the years I've known a number of people who named their guns.
First one I remember named his carry gun, which I think was a Colt Detective Special, "Roscoe." I thought that was clever until I learned "Roscoe" is an old nickname for any carry gun.
Much more recently a friend named his nickel-plated Colt 1911 GM "Gladys", from the move "Sin City." I kinda liked that, and one our Charming Children calls one of MY Colt 1911s "Gladys," though it is plain blue with Hogue grips and Novak low-mount sights.

The first gun *I* named was a Para Ordnance I built from a kit. After all the work it took me to overcome my initial errors, and I had installed a NM barrel, a chamber-loaded indicator, had the action tuned by a gunsmith, installed customized grips and Novak high-profile sights, I figured nothing that received so much attention could be anything but a pet so I named it "Fluffy."

Number two was a Sig Sauer P228. It was plain-Jane and upon advice of colleagues I did some mods. I sent it to Novak for low-mount night sights and their "Carry and Reliability Package." Then I got some wood grips from Germany and a friend fitted them to it. The tritium sights inspired the name: "Spot."

Fluffy is long gone, sold to someone else by the person I sold it to. I sold Spot when I simply needed the money. I visit the owner from time to time, and I took it to the range a few years ago. The tritium tubes were nearly dead but it was still a tack driver, and I have never fired any gun better than I fired Spot.

I see contributors to the forum often referring to their guns as "she" or "her." I never thought of my guns as being of either sex, so have always just referred to them as "it" and "them".

I feel the same way about airplanes. I have some 13,000 hours flight time, including 311 combat missions, but always considered planes as a means to an end, not living entities. Except planes with radial engines. THOSE engines are alive . . ..
The Following 3 Users Like Post: