View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 05:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,938 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
Just received my first revolver, a model 10-10. Looks to be in great mechanical shape. Never taken a revolver apart before, but I'm curious if you guys think I should take it apart to inspect and clean. Or do you guys think it'll be good to go without any internal maintenance?
I carried a 10-6 HB for nearly 20 years and can tell you the Model 10 is a great dependable revolver but....

If you received your revolver as previously owned then I highly recommend that you thoroughly inspect it at your earliest convenience.
There's no time like the present to learn assembly/disassembly of your S&W revolver.
There's nothing to fear,you won't break it.Just be careful not to lose any of the small parts.I keep a good magnet handy for when I drop a part on the floor or a tiny spring shoots across the room.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube.

All my guns are previously owned so there's some surprizes involved both good and bad.
I remove the grips,side plate and cylinder on all new purchases and soak the metal ones in K1 kerosene or Marvel Mystery Oil for a few days.Then I take out all the internal parts and wipe them down.

I use Rem Oil and M-Pro 7 synthetic grease to lubricate the parts and then a very light coat of the Rem Oil on the exterior metal.

Lubricant and cleaner selection is a personal choice so it's what works best for you.

I occasionally use a bit of Ren Wax on the wood grips.

Last edited by StakeOut; 01-08-2017 at 05:43 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: