View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Liked 34,014 Times in 7,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry N. View Post
I'll look to see if there is a new form or some verification that a review is no longer required. It makes sense, because I found some local ranges that have review classes on their web site, but none were scheduled.

Still looking for a concise format of review material.
I've been a Michigan compliant NRA certified PPH instructor since 2002. No form or verified review has ever been necessary to apply for a renewal. You simply certify that you've reviewed the original course material for three hours.

There is NO SUCH THING as "verified review material". Understand that a lot has changed since I started instructing. We now have "castle doctrine", "stand your ground" and immunity from civil liability during a legal self defense encounter. References are no longer required on the renewal and county gun boards are a thing of the past. Renewal expiration dates now expire on your birthday.

Gun laws have also changed. You no longer are required to take a newly purchased firearm to your local PD for a "safety inspection" and certificates are no longer issued. You simply mail or take in the completed "Purchase Record" within 10 days. Our law defining a rifle or shotgun has also changed to coincide with Federal law. Minimum OA length is now 26" instead of 30". Guns with Federally defined minimum barrel lengths and OA lengths between 26" and 30" are no longer considered a handgun, can not be registered as such and can't be carried on a CPL (except those previously registered and grandfathered). They're now simply rifles or shotguns. Class three items are now legal to own (fully automatic weapons, SBR's, SBS's and suppressors) and legal suppressors may now be used while hunting. Rifles firing certain pistol cartridges may now be used in the the southern lower peninsula (shotgun zone).

Yes, some instructors and training facilities offer "refresher classes". If it makes you feel better, pay the $75-$150 for one. Very few people do that, since it's not a requirement and quality/accuracy varies greatly because there are no defined standards.

You can consider the time you spent researching the laws as part of your review. Spend some time reviewing your original course material and check out the information on the MCRGO site (Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners). They have sections that cover reciprocity, legislation, pistol free zones to avoid and CPL FAQ's.

Carry smart and be safe.