View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 PM

Liked 26,159 Times in 9,069 Posts

In the original Winchester 92, the take down option was available for about 60% more than normal price. I had an 86 take down 45-90 (which is a giant version of the 92) and the rifle was very secure and stable and the sights shot to the same POA within an inch or 2 at 100 yards after reassembly. I also have 2 older Winchester 97 shotguns which use the same type of takedown system, they also are fine and come apart and go back together pretty easily.

I have a 20+/- year old stainless Rossi 92 (non-takedown) in 357 mag and my F-I-l has an 9 year old Taurus/Rossi same gun, the difference is an additional safety on the bolt. These 92's have both had about 15,000 rounds each of "Cowboy" 38's though them for SASS completion. While the recoil isn't what full power rounds would be the guns get used harder at each match then a hunting gun get in a couple of years. Both 92's have held up with no parts replacement, although I did an action job on mine.

Hope this helps some.

FWIW, I think the takedown feature is over priced but allows very convenient packing and storage. Either length should fit in an average brief case or backpack.

The large loop is great with gloves on but bare handed, will bruise the back of your hand every session you use it, and gloves are not allowed for SASS shoots. $165 seems pretty pricey for the extra lever! The overmolded stocks is the rage, now but I would prefer simple wood or with basic checkering.

Ivan
The Following User Likes This Post: