View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Liked 54 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
When I do a new load with plated that doesn't pretty much exactly match either the lead or FMJ data, I like to start at the mid-point of the lead data, rather then the mid point of the higher range jacketed data. I don't start at the bottom of the lead range, because the plated bullet's higher friction could result in a powder throw that was .1 gr under the intended charge weight that could be too low - so low that the round becomes a squib. Not probable maybe, but still possible.

So the mid ranges for the two bullets you are comparing here are 6.4 for the FMJ and 5.8 for the lead. If it were me I'd start with the 5.8. But that's just me and my approach. Others may have different recommendations.
This is pretty safe advice, but when I first started reloading and I was doing an educated guess on my loads that I could not find specific load data for, I quickly learned that I'm not that guy who could dial in my loads by feel, and spending a C note on a chronograph was a good investment. Just my humble opinion