View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 PM

Liked 125 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
After adjusting my trigger bar loop to get my FF trigger to dry fire every time, with the green spring at just under 4 lbs., I finally took the unfired gun to the range.

My first three shots went off pretty well, however, out of the next five I had three light strikes. I took the gun home and closed the loop about .003" twice, and the trigger seemed to perform better in dry fire. Basically, this adjustment put in a little more pre-travel and allowed the trigger bar to move the striker block more out of the way so the striker would not drag on the block when the sear let loose a little later (timing).

However, now the trigger felt heavier. Measured it was almost 5# with the green spring. Actually shooting it may have forced some tension adjustments, or the parts just settled.

I replaced the green spring with the silver spring and now have a reliable (250 rounds with no failures) very good 4.2# trigger--just what I wanted.

I shot from a rest today with Lawman commercial brass FMJ 9mm 115 grn. at 7 yards. One hole about the size of a quarter for 10 shots. I shot a tighter group with my Barnes carry ammo, but only 6 rounds. The gun works and shoots fine. Thanks S&W and Apex. I know what the gun will do. Good confidence.

Now to train and elevate my skills closer to the capabilities of the gun. I'm looking at mounting a red dot and suppressor height sights.
Just thought I'd add my findings. With my 9mm Pro stock pull was just under 7lbs. 6lb 14oz average with 5 test pulls and around 200 rounds down range.

I did not adjust the trigger arm, or polish any metal to metal parts. I just installed the Apex Polymer Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit #100-024. Initially installed the Green spring. The pull weight drop to just under 6lbs. 5 test pulls averaged 5lb 13oz. Shot 100 rounds down range, but thought the pull was still too heavy for me.
Installed the Silver spring, and as others have stated pull dropped to 4lb 3oz average. Much better!

Saved my money and picked up a Flat Faced Alum trigger to replace the Curved Polymer trigger. Without any other changes, trigger dropped to 3lb 15oz on average of 5 pulls. I'm going to leave it there for now.

According to Wendy at Apex, the trigger pull weight will reduce maybe another half pound or so, after some break-in. I'll post back here after some more range time. Cold here in Michigan right now though.

So far I'm loving the Apex trigger improvements. I do not use the Pro for EDC, so a 3lb to 4lb trigger is great for having fun with and home defense. My son-in-law and long time shooting buddy really like the trigger and accuracy of the gun.

Take care all, and shoot straight!