View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Liked 1,014 Times in 256 Posts

Thanks for the link 824tsv, I have been poking around the Dan Wesson forum for a few hours now, though it appears that the Model 22 was not nearly as popular as the 357 models, but that's not surprising.

As far as what info I would like to know:

- Am I correct in my understanding that DW only makes a couple of frame sizes, and that 22 fits in the category of small frame revolvers? (Despite looking and feeling about the same size as a S&W 28) My interest in this is purely for accessories sake, i.e. grips, holsters, replacement parts if need be.

- I have also read on other forums conflicting reports of good and bad quality and accuracy with these guns. From what I've read overall, I hear that proper cylinder gap is important to accuracy and function and correctly setting the spacing can help smooth out issues with either function or accuracy. I have however read others saying that no matter what the spacing is, they cannot get the gun to shoot accurately, and they are complete junk. I disinclined to believe that every model 22 is bad, but I am wondering from those of you who own or have owned one, if you have had any uncorrectable problems with accuracy and action function.

- Assuming that this gun never came with a set of barrels and shrouds and never or seldom had the barrel removed, is loosening of the barrel nut something to worry about over time? I was planning on picking up a barrel wrench for it and the .006 shim in the off-chance that I may find a 6 or 8 inch barrel and shroud for it for sale someday. I just want to know if the barrel loosening is something to worry about and I should be ordering the wrench and shim right away.

Anyway, no matter what, for the around price I am paying for it, my other choices include revolvers from Taurus, Charter Arms, and Ruger, none of which have ever proven themselves to be very good quality (or at least the 22 cal DA revolvers aren't, Ruger Single Sixes are awesome, but I was looking for a DA revolver). I did look at an older 6-shot S&W 617 for a bit more money, but the gun was very heavily used, and the action did not feel anywhere as smooth as the DW 22. I wish I could afford a S&W 17 or a newer 617, but just not in the cards right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by mainegrw; 01-09-2017 at 10:52 AM.