View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 11:37 AM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

I might add that this and the 380 version were issued to General officers in the military from World War I up to and including Vietnam Nam. They were carried by some very famous Generals along the way, (Patton was issued one, but usually carried privately purchased firearms) and I don't recall any of them being accidentally shot with theirs.

The issue of accidental fire on being dropped is the same as that of the 1911s up to I believe the 80s series, which would rely on the firing pin being driven forward through inertia if the gun were dropped and landed on the muzzle and the pin moving forward had enough speed to strike the primer of a chambered round hard enough to detonate it. I may be wrong (it happens now and then), but I think that this is a pretty unlikely occurrence.

I have two Colt 1911s, both pre 80s series, one a Commander and the other a Gold Cup, and I am not afraid to carry them "cocked and locked". Essentially, that is what you are doing when you carry a 1903 with a round chambered and the thumb safety engaged. It has a hammer, not a striker, and is similar to the 1911, you just cannot see the hammer, as it is enclosed in the slide.

Just me, but I don't worry too much about carrying the 1903 loaded, with a round chambered. That is the way that JMB designed it to be carried.

Best Regards, Les