View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 02:14 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,938 Times in 1,730 Posts

My one and only ever buy off gunbroker was several months ago for a Model 625-2.I was the 1st and only bidder on the gun that started off at the max I would pay for a previously owned 625-2.

The gun was looking at about 99% seeing the photos of the exterior posted by the seller.

When I picked it up at my FFL I was pleasently surprized that it was in the original box wrapped in the brown S&W paper and secured in the trigger insert.The papers and tool kit was also in the box.There was also a dozen Wilson moon clips and an unloading tool.

Now the not so good.

The gun was shipped in 1989 and probably rarely had the grips and side plate off,maybe once.

Under the factory Pachmayr grips was some black pitting that still remain visible after careful removal attempts.

The strain screw was for a square butt model.

WD 40 was used heavily on the internal parts and was like chewing gum.I've seen this before and knew what I was witnessing in this revolver.

The rebound spring was cut far too short.

The main spring was and after market with a rib.

A moon clip with 6 45acp rounds inserted in the cylinder would not allow it to be closed and turn smoothly.

Two of the cylinder holes would only allow .452" plated Berry's bullets to go half way down.

The revolver now works perfectly.

I recently drilled and tapped the gun to accept the reflex sight mount made by forum member revolver_ph to which I affix a Burris FF3 red dot.

So,should you thoroughly check out your purchases?

Last edited by StakeOut; 01-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: