View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the safety issue in carrying these "internally cocked and locked" either. Although, I have to add I don't think carrying a single-stack .32 with an awkward and too small safety is necessarily a good idea for CCW these days, unless you don't have or can't afford something better. Sure, it'll probably do the job; so would a 1851 Navy cap-and-ball in most cases; doesn't make it a smart first choice.

We've had heated discussions about the suitability of the 1903/1908 for CCW on the Colt forum before. It frequently appears that rather than choosing the best gun for the job at hand, folks pick the gun they love and then try to fabricate an argument that it's a great choice for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
I might add that this and the 380 version were issued to General officers in the military from World War I up to and including Vietnam Nam. They were carried by some very famous Generals along the way, (Patton was issued one, but usually carried privately purchased firearms) and I don't recall any of them being accidentally shot with theirs.
Interestingly, most general officers' Colts in collections and on the collectors market are in pristine condition because most of the generals hardly ever carried them.

If Eisenhower had actually carried all the handguns issued to him personally, he would have looked like the Outlaw Josey Wales; during WW II, besides the 1908, there was a Commando and a Detective Special I know about. Pate has a picture of a handmade IWB holster that Ike used for his 1908 to keep it out of sight. Not so Patton; he actually decorated his pistol with general's stars, adding one whenever he got a promotion, and using an open holster when he did carry that gun on official occasions so they were visible.

Around 1950 the military ran out of .380-chambered models; from then until the end in the 1970s, generals got the .32 version.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: