View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBStuard View Post
Now that you have settled on the rifle and found that your local store can order it for you, ask them how best to do the transaction so the ATF is happy. My thought would be that you give them maybe $200 to order it and hold it. And have the order done in his name. Give your husband a home made gift card w/ the cash inside and a downloaded pic of the rifle, and then both of you go to the store. Then he can fill out the forms and pay the balance. I know he bought you a pistol, and it will probably never be a problem, but you know how too many people are about black rifles. Seems it would be best for it to be in his name.
This would be a violation because he would be filling out the 4773 but the rifle would be purchased with $200 of "her" money. The ATF follows the money trail.

She either has to buy the rifle with her money filling out the 4473 and then gift it to her husband. In this instance the gifter of the rifle is the actual purchaser as defined by the ATF. This would be the way I would do it.

or

She can give him the money as a gift which he then uses to purchase the rifle. To be on the safe side the money should be gifted prior to going to the shop. In this case he will be supplying the $$$ and filling out the 4473.

The point I will stress is that the person supplying the money must be the one who is filling out the 4473.

This Christmas I was given a Glock 19 by my mother in law which she purchased and I then transferred into my possession. We live in different states so it had to go through and FFL.

My wife bought me a Beretta Pigeon I for my birthday and because we live in the same state she simply purchased it and gave it to me. No fuss no muss.

Last edited by WVSig; 01-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.