View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM

Liked 367 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitwabit View Post
Many people probably don't train enough .. you noticed I said train not just practice .. practice - firing the pistol at a standing target .. training - going through SD scenarios where drawing and presenting your weapon .. shooting from the hip .. moving out of danger can all be done at home with an empty pistol ..

Designate a ammo free room in your home and do your dry fire practice in that room only .. and don't allow a loaded weapon into that room .. any chance of a ND will be avoided ..

Finding time and the cost is the main 2 reasons that I have heard .. but training can be accomplished at home and the actually shooting the pistol isn't always necessary .. dry firing can be very beneficial ..
You sound just like one of my favorite handgun instructors... I try to take at least one class from him, and one from a different instructor per year. Always good to hear a different perspective.

I do a good bit of dry practice, only costs you time.

Sadly, I have friends who carry, but never practice drawing their guns... The tell me 'I can get it if I really need it...' Training should not be required by law, but I don't see how someone would not get some quality instruction, and practice often if they want to use a gun for self defense.