View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 07:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,556 Times in 2,547 Posts

I'm firmly on both sides of the fence on this one. One should not remove the sideplate of an S&W revolver without PROPER screwdrivers, good directions from a GOOD video or a Kuhnhausen book, a piece of wood to tap the frame with, and some elementary proficiency in operating the most critical tools, the screwdrivers. NOT EVERYONE HAS THIS, and it does not disqualify him or her from safe and sane operation of a firearm.

Yet, I believe, based on my own experience with MANY dozens of new and used revolvers, that every revolver needs to have that sideplate removed at least once. The first time should be fairly soon after you first get your hands on it.

It is probably clear that I have to conclude that the person who is not mechanically inclined is going to have to GET mechanically inclined, and buy a Kuhnhausen, a Brownell screwdriver or two and a few bits, a rebound slide tool, and some eye protection. If he or she doesn't want to go this route, it won't cost much more, or maybe less, to have the gun gone over by a competent gunsmith, if he or she happens to know one.

AFAIK, back when cops carried revolvers, many departments had police armorers inspecting and cleaning them on a regular basis. I don't see anything wrong with the mechanically disadvantaged arranging for a similar attention to maintenance.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: