View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point5sixGUY View Post
One time me and my boss went to the gun store, I picked out a gun from the counter, said I'll take it, I filled out the form and my boss pulled out cash from his wallet (it was my x mas bonus) and I bought the gun with no problems. Another time at the same store I went to buy my mom a gun, I asked to see a gun and told the guy I was getting it for my mom, and he wouldn't let me get it. He claimed that was a straw purchase because I was gonna give it to someone else and I claimed it was a gift to my mother, but he wouldn't let me buy it. He told me that the person filling out the form has to be the one who asks to see the gun and say I'll take it, but anybody could pull out the money and pay for it. Anyway, they lost my business as I won't be buying from there anymore.
The clerks in both of your scenarios were poorly trained.

In the first scenario, where you picked out the gun, filled out the form, and then your boss pulled the money from his wallet should have been treated as a classic straw purchase and the transaction stopped.

In the second scenario, if your mother was not there at the store, he should not have stopped the transaction simply because you stated you were giving it as a gift. That is allowed. If your mother was there and picked out the gun and then you went to do the paperwork and pay, that could be construed as a straw purchase. This is why I recommend that she goes to the store to make the purchase without her husband... I also recommend keeping the conversation with the clerk to "I would like to purchase x" as there is no requirement for you to declare it is a gift to the clerk, and it just keeps it simple.