View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 AM

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_c View Post
This is what I used until 10 years ago. It was a pain, for one person to set up. The first screen was placed 5 feet from the muzzle, the second screen was 10 feet from the first. If the velocity was thought to be, 1000 feet or less, then the second screen was placed 5 feet from the first.

The height of the bullets were recommended to be 6 inches above the screens. After a shot was fired, the switch was rotated for the first number by adding up the numbers the meter went to "Yes". Then repeat the process for the other 3 numbers. Then you looked at the chart, for that number (which most likely was time of flight across the screens), to the left was the velocity in feet per second.

It was very slow and a pain to use, but it worked and cost something like $110, as I recall, in the late 70's or early 80's.
Looks just like my Oehler Mod. 12 (Bought new in 1980 @ $100.00). Slow to get the four numbers to go to the actual velocity chart was a "Blessing" when shooting rifles, allowing cooling time as required. I still use mine to this day. I never thought it was "slow" back then, and now it has to wait on me to catch up.