View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 AM

Liked 283 Times in 145 Posts

Commendations for keeping your uncle's memories.

I was fortunate to now own three of my issue firearms, a 28, a pre-war unregistered .357 (originally purchased for the Texas Rangers and later displayed in the agency director's office) and a commercial 1911 that had originally been issued to a trooper, later issued to captains and regional commanders as available. I bought the two revolvers when they were discontinued, and my co-workers bought the 1911 as a retirement gift.
Even though I was retired, I was given the opportunity to purchase a NIB, unissued 220 Sig when the agency switched to .357 Sig. I got careless one night and it and a few other items were stolen from my unlocked truck that I had failed to park in the garage.

I also have all of my badges, trooper through regional commander and a Special Texas Ranger badge to go with the commission issued upon retirement.

I'm debating presenting the pre-war .357 to the Museum. I have the paper trail of the ranger it was issued to, the display in the director's office, and the time that it was issued to me. Then maybe my oldest granddaughter gets the guns and badges.

I never routinely packed the "thirty pound" rigging mentioned above.
Sidearm, ammo, handcuffs ( when I went to work we bought our own so I bought aluminum alloy). On a few special assignments, I carried a radio, but had a serious dislike to do so. I generally used some other troop's radio. During my patrol days, the radio was in the car only.

Lots of memories......

Jack
The Following 3 Users Like Post: