View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 AM

Liked 296 Times in 114 Posts

For me, the challenge of a fixed site gun, is getting the bullets to strike where I am aiming. I will take whatever style/type/weight works to this effect. I have a firm belief that where you hit them is more important than what you hit them with. Holding off, high-low-left-right will never work for me, espically if I am in a hurry or excited. I compounded that problem by shooting several different handguns and have never been any good at keeping track of such things anyway. Legend is that the 38 Special revolvers, like the S&W 10 ect, the military and police used back in the day were regulated so point of impact and point of aim were the same using 158 grain round nose lead bullets. I have seen all sorts of gun abuse by neanderthals such is turning the barrel in the frame, bending and filing the front site, milling and filling the back site. I am not claiming that 158 grain LRN does what is advertised, only a logical place to start. My experience that the same weight and shape bullet from different different. manufactures, and even same manufacture on different lot numbers, have different points of impact. Usualy it is claimed heavier bullets impact higher than lighter ones. This is true for my 9mm highpower. At 25 yards 124 grain print on the Xring, 115 grain are about 4 inch low. The only other fixed site handgun I have, a Taurus 85 puts everything near the bull at that difference. Now that is, after it took 5 trips back to FL to get fixed. Now days I pretty much pass on anything that does not have adjustable or replaceable sites unless it is something like a Keltec P3AT, if such thing concerns anyone I suspect they are missing the point, although the P3ATs big brother the PF9 has adjustable sites.
The Following User Likes This Post: