View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperillo05 View Post
I left NJ for many reasons but a big downside was always the strict gun laws. We travel back a few times a year to visit family and friends and I would thoroughly enjoy being able to carry there legally, but the hassle probably wouldn't be worth it. Even if the state acknowledged the federal law as a whole, how many local jurisdictions would not be caught up on current federal law, or give a **** and still give someone like myself a hard time if they noticed a print in my shirt or something. Not something I want to go through when I'm trying to enjoy time with family, my wife and son the already short time we're there. Then you still have to worry about all the establishments that can still not allow firearms on their premises regardless of any national reciprocity law.
For those seeking FOPA like protection from a federal reciprocity mandate.

A word of warning: even if you qualify for Safe Passage protection, some states, such as New York and New Jersey, treat Safe Passage protection as a mere affirmative defense instead of a protection from arrest and prosecution, meaning that police in these states may still arrest you if you are pulled over with firearms in your vehicle, despite meeting all of the conditions of the federal statute. To beat potential charges of illegal possession of firearms and/or assault weapons, you would then need to assert your Safe Passage protection as a defense in court. This could involve substantial court costs and inconvenience, not to mention putting a halt to your vacation plans.

3 Things Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Traveling Across State Lines | Texas & U.S. Law Shield
The Following 2 Users Like Post: