Thread: Savage 440
View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

The bbls are metric length in cm as already stated. The chokes are probably marked under the forend wood denoted with a series of stars/asterisks. I forget now how they go but I think 1 star is Cyl, 2 is Imp Cyl, 3 is Mod and 4 stars/asterisks is Full.
The 440 doesn't bring all that much $$,,they are a decent field gun. But for SC I don't know if they'd hold up to the # of rounds you'd be shooting if you really get into the sport.
All depends on how deep you intend to get into the sport.
I shoot it quite a lot with nothing but elderly pumps and SxS's,,an occasional semiauto thrown in. All fixed choke and all but one is Full. But I just shoot for grins and could care less about a plastic trophy at the end of the season.
The older guns do break down now and again, but I fix my own so I don't see it as a problem. If you don't,,you want something that can stand up to 10's of 1000's of rounds w/o a worry. Repairs can be expensive and not worth it on an inexpensive gun to keep it going on the torture test run that continuous clay target shooting like SC's can be.

Last edited by 2152hq; 01-10-2017 at 03:52 PM.