Thread: Marlin 1895SDT
View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Liked 26,335 Times in 9,128 Posts

Reloading is a lot like driving cars. You can have the entry level "used VW beetle" or you can go with a pretty nice Pick-up truck or you could go with a top of the line Formula 1 car by Ferrari. A very basic Lee Loader can do only one cartridge, e.g. 45-70, and come with everything you need (except hammer) to do a basic load with the powder they tell you, with the bullet weight they tell you and it will be slow about 30 per hour. You can expand on that with a powder scale and loading manual and you can the make any load in the book, at about 30 per hour. I started with this in 303 Brit. and have several as a back up system.

Up one level of magnitude: A single stage press and dies with scoop set will do 45-60 per hour with the added bonus of being full length sized. (Lee makes kits like this). Add a powder drop and you go to 75 to 100 per hour. There are several steps at this same level of technology/Price making better ammo at each step but still at about 75-250 per hour. Note you only need one press but additional die sets for each cartridge. I have several set ups at the same time, but you only have to have 1 press!

The next major step is progressive loading presses. They usually (but not all of them) use the dies you already have. There are major differences in model and brands. These generate opinions like butt holes, everybody has one, but you don't want to be in its presence! You can find production levels from 300 to 1200 per hour and you pay lots of money for any higher production level over 300. I have a common one at 500-600 per hour, call that middle production level and below middle cost level. I have had mine since the mid 80's and don't really have any need for better production levels. Quality of system, that costs too!

I have kept Brand Name and prices out of this, to allow you to look at what you need and want to spend. I have bought 50% or more of my dies and presses used, that saves money, and costs interchangeability and time.

Whatever it costs now, will cost more next year, so postponing will cost money for the same stuff!

Have fun trying to get the balance.

Ivan

Midway and Sinclair International both carry the widest range of stuff (except for a few brands of progressives)and you can see new pricing at each level. Used is on line, at gun shops and shows, and even at garage sales!

Warning: The quest for better and more ammo is addictive and expensive. (but it is a great and legal addiction!)

Ivan the Butcher, loading since 1978 and still getting better! (better is a code word for spending money)

Last edited by Ivan the Butcher; 01-10-2017 at 11:13 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: