View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

Liked 202 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoyne View Post
What else should I try and you thoughts on what I ordered? I ordered lighter grain because of what I read on this forum and what others have said on the other gun forum I frequent the most. A lot of what I see mentioned isn't available when I looked for it on the regular webstores I buy from and one had this available so I placed an order. My gun is a 627pc with 2.75 barrel

I think I ordered the wrong Buffalo Bore since its listed as heavy but I was looking at a lot of what was listed and added the wrong one. I ordered the 158gr speer to see the difference in heavier bullets compared to the lighter ones. I can tell a difference in my 44mag Super Blackhawk Hunter in lighter and heavier bullets

Barnes Tac-xp 357 125gr HP lead free
Buffalo Bore 357 125gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 357 158gr JHP

I am not wanting to start a huge discussion or be like every guy who starts a debate. Just wanting some suggestions to try
Sounds like a fine assortment of defensive rounds. None are powder puffs, and the BB loads are stout to say the least. Only thing to do now is light them off and see what you think.

Of note, I was surprised at how stout the Speer .357 158gr ammo was. Not horrible at all, but definitely not a glorified .38 load for sure. Some have suggested it might be a decent hunting load for smaller game.

I like .357 myself, but found most loads too stout for my own defensive use in my 640 & 65, both of which I carry. I ended up settling on 125gr Golden Saber .357 Mag and 158gr LSWCHP Underwood .38 +P for my J & K frames. In my N frame I run stouter stuff like Underwood 125gr, 158gr and 180gr. I don't hunt, but the 180's are a hoot so I light off a few sometimes for fun.
The Following User Likes This Post: