View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,437 Times in 5,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Why would you get a small, easily concealable gun, then make it hard to conceal with a pair of big grips? .... YMMV!
In the end you acknowledge, “Everyone is different.” Due to that I don’t understand the basis for your question.

Many on this forum talk about concealing N-frame guns. When I go into the woods I have a 4” X-frame I toss in my Simply Rugged Sourdough at the cross-draw position. Wearing my usual, day-to-day togs you’d never know it was there, but I don’t carry it to the grocery store.

The reason I carry a 640 Pro with “big grips,” which I have no problem concealing, relates exactly to why I carry to begin with. If I encounter a bad situation I want to have a chance to defend myself. At 6’4” I’m not ready for the NBA, but my arms and hands are in proportion to my height. I can reach that box of shredded wheat on the top shelf for that sweet little old lady (no offence intended – I’m nearly her age), but sometimes long limbs and large extremities aren’t necessarily an asset, especially as I’ve been hesitant to finally admit with age comes a decreased dexterity. I’ve tried as hard as I can to practice “presenting” factory equipped round butt and square butt I and J-frames from my Lobo Enhanced Pancake at 4 o’clock, and the stocks are so small I simply can’t gain purchase for a smooth presentation. With my Nill stocks (bigger than some K-frames) the whole process is smooth as a fresh-frozen pond on a calm day, and isn’t that the point?

Could I potentially train myself to grab that baby chief and present it as effectively? Maybe, and don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be as proficient with the baby as I am with the 640, but it comes down to one thing: my 640 with those huge stocks works for me. I dare say the flow is nearly as fast and flawless as a ballet. With the smaller stocked revolvers my presentation initially looks like the proper ladies at afternoon tea: thumb and forefinger grab the butt, extract it from the leather, but then the scene comes straight out of a Laurel and Hardy skit, where it’s like I’ve grabbed a hot potato and I’m fumbling it around in an attempt to get it seated in my palm and get my forefinger into position. It’s an ugly thing, and all because I can’t “get a grip” from the git go. The bg would surely win.

There is no one-size-fits-all. There are hundreds of choices (revolvers, stocks, holsters (leather, nylon, or solid), ammo, and most importantly, opinions). If one were “best” or “right” everyone would have the same setup.

Hope, in some small way, I’ve answered your question.

Cheers,

Bob
The Following 3 Users Like Post: