View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

Nick,

Personally, I think that you would have a much better chance of establishing a successful snow cone business in Hades than you would of getting a carry permit in NJ. Christie had mentioned an administrative change, that has not taken effect. The key point is that the applicant is required to show the existence of a specific (on going) threat to their personal safety, and that has often been ignored.

It is my understanding, that in NJ, a applicant for any firearms permit can be denied if they were the victim of domestic violence, and it is an automatic disqualifier when applying for an FID or purchase permit if the stated purpose of purchase is for self defense. It is my understanding that even Superior Court judges that deal with violent criminals are denied carry permits.

With respect to the proposed national reciprocity legislation, I would not hold your breath. In a draft that I read, it stated that reciprocity would apply only to states that issue carry permits. Since all states issue permits, but you have "may issue" vs "shall issue" states, I can see this reciprocity being mandated among "shall issue" states. In the latest version that I read, the emphasis is that permits issued by your state would be granted reciprocity, suggesting that non-resident permits could be left in the cold.

One point that needs to be recognized and corrected, is that the NJ state constitution of 1947 doesn't grant residents the right to self defense, and thereby obligates anyone in fear for their life must exhaust all avenues of escape before they can employ lethal force in self defense.