View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Speedster View Post
ChattanoogaPhil
I would class myself as a guy shooting offhand at multiple steel targets needing fast target acquisition or general offhand plinking.
So what is your recommendation for me?
That pretty much describes my practice. I use a 1x red dot. My rifle is designated for self defense so I use an Aimoint Micro. If the rifle was designated for recreation only I might use a Primary Arms Micro for a $100. Good reputation for recreational use.

With practice, 1-4X scope set on 1x is about as fast as a 1x red dot once you got it up and aligned with a good cheek weld and both eyes open. 1-4x is also a good choice if ya got a bit of an astigmatism and don't like the funky look of a smeared 1x red dot. Some guys simply can't stand it. The extra magnification can come in handy at distance when supported. If weight is a consideration the 1x red dot is typically less than half the weight of a 1-4x. For recreational use most any of the $200 1-4x scopes will do. Tons of reticles to choose from. Some of the more popular are etched reticles that can be illuminated and are designed for both close/fast as well as distance and more precise aiming. Next step up I'd look at something like a Leupold VX-R Patrol. Several different reticles to choose from. Some guys like the Trijicon TR24 with triangle reticle.

Hope that's enough info to chew on. Holler back if we can help.

Happy optics hunting.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: