View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Liked 102 Times in 39 Posts

Well girls and boys, it seems that I drew the short straw and got the ugly duckling. Scuffs galore, and she's been dropped, too. The stop notch peening looks worse in the pics than in person, and I've got a low round count 686 with that, so whatever.

On the bright side, the b/c gap is tight (.003) with no end shake, rotational play is slight/normal, timing is good, and it's got the old style latch. The rifling is fairly sharp, and the forcing cone looks good, and there's no flame cutting whatsoever. Plus the grips are serviceable. I'm not thrilled, but I didn't refuse the transfer. Curious as to what other folks would have done though. Would YOU have kept it at this price? Or another way to ask, if you saw it in person at a store for $383 (Centerfire total plus my $30 FFL fee), would you buy or pass? Be honest.

I'm kinda thinking since this ain't a collector, it's a good candidate for trying my hand at the wet sanding thru the grits, and taking it to a mirror polish. I've wanted to try that for a long time, but didn't want to take the factory finish off of my 686. What say ye? Or Flitz her up and have one that lives up to my forum name?

The Following 5 Users Like Post: