View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,981 Times in 6,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymike_88 View Post
I have noticed that some models are named the outdoorsman and some are target models what is the difference?
Is mine either of one?
I recall the seller saying that this one is a target model, was he correct?
First, I assume we are again talking about your S prefix Military & Police revolver and not the thread-drift Model 13.

Second, as has been pointed out, your revolver has a fixed rear sight, so it isn't a target model of any name. It would fit into the general category of a "service revolver" with fixed sights.

Third - and this will address the confusion caused by the name game as well as your seller's incorrect info - all of the handguns that S&W called the Outdoorsman's (commonly referred to as an "Outdoorsman") were target sight guns, but not all target sight S&W revolvers were called by that name. So far as I know, only two lines were given the Outdoorsman's name:

1. The first K frame .22 rimfire, which was a target revolver with an adjustable rear sight, introduced in 1931. As DWalt explained, this name was eventually superseded (in 1940) by the name Masterpiece.

2. The target sight version of the .38/44 N frame revolver chambered for the .38 Special, also introduced in 1931 (November, to be specific). It was called by the factory the .38/44 Outdoorsman's. The fixed sight variation of this same revolver was introduced about 18 months earlier (April, 1930) and was called the .38/44 Heavy Duty. Unlike their .22 caliber cousin, the .38/44 revolvers retained their respective names when reintroduced after WWII.

I hope this is helpful.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318