Thread: Squib Loads
View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Liked 82 Times in 15 Posts

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread, but I am experiencing this same issue. I have been reloading since 1980, have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on this press and have just started having squibs. The only thing that changed? I got a deal on 1500 Xtreme plated 125gr Flatpoints. I have always loaded 158 grain LRN or SWCs. I adjusted the load, (have used the same powder and charge since 1986 or so), adjusted the seater and let fly. I visually check EVERY round for powder and weigh a charge every ten. The powder is there. Mixed brass, proven primers. Several squibs, with one lodging in the 6" barrel of my 27-2.

So my theory? These Xtreme bullets are very heavily plated, they look jacketed to me. They are cannelured. I was roll-crimping in the cannelure , but not very heavy. I think I am getting insufficient case tension. It is definitely puzzling! I am going to re-crimp 50 or so from the same batch that gave me fits today and see if I can mitigate the problem.

BTW I had loaded 250 158 LRNs just before loading the 125s and got not a single squib. Same powder, same press... very curious.