View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSmith View Post
I bought a .45 Shield about 2 months ago and am delighted with the handling, trigger, grips, and accuracy. However, I've had a recurrent malfunction about every 20 rounds. About 3-4 rounds into the magazine the slide gets stuck without actually being locked back. If I drop the magazine, the slide goes forward. If I rack the slide the short distance left, the round feeds but sometimes jams at a 45 degree angle. This problem is independent of ammo type or magazine.

Any thoughts? I have not yet called S&W hoping that this would be a break-in problem, but it happened today and round count is above 300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSmith View Post
Thanks for your replies. This is not a lubrication or "limp wrist" problem. I'll call S&W tomorrow; it sounds like I'm not the only one to have this issue.
Contacting S&W is probably the best course of action, so please keep that in mind if you read the rest of my post.

I had multiple malfunctions as you describe with my 45 Shield. What I found was the round that caused the stoppage had nose dived enough that it was getting caught under a ledge on the locking block. Here's a photo that shows where the ledge is located (unfortunately, the photo does not show how substantial the ledge is):

I didn't feel like sending my pistol back (it had already been back for about 4 weeks to fix an out of the box cosmetic issue), so I just modified my locking block and I've not had a re-occurrence of the stoppage.
Regards,
Greg
The Following 2 Users Like Post: