View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,688 Times in 2,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
39, 39-2 and 59 had a windage adjustable rear sight that I like a lot. The 2nd Gen fixed rear sight is perfectly fine and the 3rd Gen Novak fixed rear and factory night sight fixed rear are fantastic.

However, the 2-3rd Gen adjustable rear sight is simply hideous in appearance. It has protective wings that would look fine on an armored personnel carrier but look obnoxious on an otherwise handsome pistol. Besides the awful appearance... I still cannot understand -why- anyone believed this was necessary-- cops all over the nation carried S&W's adjustable sight revolvers for decades and decades of hard service in harsh environments and those rear sights basically NEVER fail, so I am at a loss for what needed "protection" in the 2-3rd Gen adjustable rear sight.

Just plain awful looking. It actually looks like they couldn't possibly have made it look worse if they wanted to.

I actually like the winged sight adjustment look. To each his own...

As to the OP's question..unless it is LNIB I would pass. They are nothing special. The 59 is a classic and the 5904 is a much nicer pistol. Unlike the wood grips on the 439 the 459 has the black plastic. The sight is a big deal to me. If it has the adjustable "winged sight" you are good to go. But they made many with that 2nd Gen. small metal sight before moving to the more conventional Novak 2 dot rear sight. I find these very hard to pick up the target with. These really have very little collector value. If you want one to fill a collection niche as you say then look for a really nice one with the box and accessories. If 's just to shooter pick up a 5904/5906 instead... Of course JMO!.
John 1:17
NRA Life Benefactor

Last edited by mbliss57; 01-13-2017 at 06:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: