View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Liked 6,617 Times in 2,199 Posts

FWIW, I did try the 2X2 method some years ago, but quickly decided I was unwilling to give up a round, meaning having a "dead" charge hole in a freshly recharged snub.

Back when we used to run service revolvers we had a part of the qual course-of-fire where we had to run to the 15yd line from 25yds, shoot 6 rounds, then reload with 4 rounds (either loose or a partially loaded speedloader, of whatever we preferred) and finish for a total of 10 rounds fired. (Don't ask, it was just the way it was, and I wasn't part of the FTU back then ).

Anyway, however you decided to load 4 rounds into a 6 round cylinder, and then fire those last 4 rounds for score, on the clock, you either closed the cylinder so the "first" live round came up under the hammer (and we had folks carrying Pythons and various S&W revolvers), or you started pulling the trigger hoping to get off all 4 live rounds, in time, while encountering those 2 dead charge holes in whatever order occurred due to sequence when the cylinder was closed.

I preferred to see the live rounds and close the cylinder so they came up with the first 4 trigger presses.

In an actual situation, I'd not wish to have that "dead" charge hole come up under my J-frame's hammer when I desperately needed a live round firing.

To me, having that 5th round (versus the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th trigger press "finding" that hole where the missing 5th was supposed to live??) is worth the continued effort needed to effectively manipulate the 5-rd speedstrip ... and drop the empty speedstrip, closing the cylinder and getting the gun recharged.

Everybody's got to figure out their own abilities and limitations, though, and hope any shortcomings or shortcuts don't cost them in the wrong circumstances.

Have a reason for what you decided to do, and make it a good one.