View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Liked 506 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPac View Post
The Hydra-Shoks are good ammo will serve SD purposes. However, the newer HST rounds are the absolute best in my eyes. I have posted this before but will do so again. The only other bullet I would consider on the same field as the HST is Winchester's equivalent, the Ranger or whatever they call it now.

I tested 9mm HP ammo a while back. I used GoldDots, HST, Golden Saber, and other cheaper HP bullets. The HST were the only bullets to fully expand NO MATTER WHAT. The GoldDots really let me down compared to the hype they have, and the Golden Sabers were just poor.

I keep my 9mms full of 124gr. +P HST rounds. Sadly Federal never adopted the HST bullet over into revolver cartridges. So in my 38spl and 357mag conceal carry revolvers I use 147gr. +P Hydra-Shoks, 147gr +P+ Hydra-Shoks, both are 38spl rounds, or 140gr XTP home brews which are 357mag.

Here is a pic of the HST round after firing. They expand like this consistently!!!

These debates are never ending!

The best expansion doesn't always equate to the best choice. The more a bullet expands, the less it penetrates. There are so many variables, and unknowns, there is no one perfect solution.