View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7,880 Times in 2,833 Posts

Hick’s Law postulates that the more variables you add to the decision making process the longer it takes you to make a decision and act on it. So if I add variables by carrying different guns in different locations in different types of holsters with varying levels of retention all I’m really doing is adding to the menu options I have to go through in my mind before acting in a self defense scenario. My brain has to answer a series of questions before I can even start to draw my firearm.

Eliminating variables makes anything a human does more consistent and reliable. By definition if I’m in a self defense situation I’m already behind the curve. Every step I have to take to prepare to and defend myself is an opportunity for something to go wrong. Every step or decision that I can eliminate increases the odds in my favor.

It's my belief that the more I practice with my carry gun the better I'm going to be with it under stress. The fewer variables in my equipment the faster I'm going to draw, the less chance of a mistake or hesitation, and the better my chances of survival. I have completely eliminated the variable of what I'm carrying, where, or how. It's always exactly the same. I'm better prepared to defend myself as a result.

That said, (IMO) Having different guns for different circumstances is not the same as “rotating” your carry guns. As I’ve stated before I switch off between one of two guns depending on circumstances and my concealment needs.

90% of the time based on my circumstance I can dress in a way that that accommodates a full sized gun so I carry the M&P9. When I have to dress differently or I’m sitting around the house and I don’t want to carry a full sized gun I carry the 9C but in either case I’m carrying two almost identical guns

To me “rotating” your carry guns is a mood thing. Like “I’m bored with my 1911 so today I’m going to carry my GLOCK” and for me mood has nothing to do with carrying a gun.

I also don’t switch based on any threat assessment. If things are so tense that I’m questioning if I have enough gun I don’t go. Of course the exception would be that I probably wouldn’t carry a 9mm if I were going into the mountains where I literally might encounter a bear.

Last edited by Smoke; 04-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: