View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Hick’s Law postulates that the more variables you add to the decision making process the longer it takes you to make a decision and act on it.
I like that. But if every gun I carry operates the same, point and shoot or, technically, aim and shoot, it doesn't make any difference to make the shooting decision in a self defense scenario. It's the same every time. That is exactly why the trainers in the early days of the IDF taught their soldiers to carry their pistols with the chamber empty. Too many variables were all eliminated if every soldier was trained to draw, rack the slide, and fire. To watch their speed when they do it is a sight to behold.

It's not the American way but we give all of our soldiers, as a general rule, the same pistol. It used to be the 1911. Then it became the M9. Everyone trained the same way. (Let's ignore the Special Forces and their variable weapons or the tank crew weapons which differ in size from the M9 - they are all trained the same for their specialty). As long as everyone trains the same the result is the same. Switching from an M&P 9 to an M&P 9c is more or less the exact same mental game as switching from a K frame to a J frame or a 3rd Gen 9mm. The gun comes out, goes on target, the trigger is pulled.

Thus, I don't see the applicability of "Hick's law" to the choices I make except I admit it applies when I am getting dressed because THAT is when the "what to carry" decision is made.

I think the term "rotating" is not meant to describe varying guns every day or even by mood but just meant to imply the concept of having several choices.

Last edited by ISCS Yoda; 01-12-2017 at 06:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: